One Family Created This GRANITE Monument For Their Son. This Is Their Story.
Joseph Francisco Gonzalez was a soldier. He was proud to serve his country. His family wanted the world to know how he felt about that, and how they felt about him. So they decided to honor his memory, and capture his spirit, and his pride. His inscription reads: Freedom isn’t free. But it’s worth fighting for. He was a loving brother and a dutiful son. He died a hero. For all he was, and all he gave, he will be remembered. Forever.
The family’s memorialization process:
- The family selected the photo they liked best to serve as a guide for a full granite bust.
- An artist rendered a conceptual design of the monument.
- Upon approval of the conceptual rendering, a clay model bust was carved by a talented sculptor.
- Upon approval of the clay model by the family, the sculptor hand-carved the granite bust out of beautiful Tropical Green granite.
- The family chose the words they wanted inscribed on the monument. The words that tell his story. A story for generations to come.
- The family identified photographs to be forever a part of his memorial in the form of brilliantly colored photo tiles.
- It stands today as a living memorial to their son, brother and American hero, and as a testament to the price of defending freedom.